Saturday 24 February 2024

The Big Move: Upgrading Your PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11

Upgrading  PC from Windows 10 to Windows 11


Windows 11 is the newest version released on October 5, 2021.  (2.5 yrs ago!) It is free for any Windows 10 computers that meet the system requirements for the upgrade. 

Microsoft officially supports Windows 11 on computers using an 8th Gen Intel Core CPU or above , AMD Ryzen CPU or newer, with UEFI and Trusted Platform Module 2 known as TPM 2.

First  thing to do is check windows updates on your windows 10 machine to see if MS has already downloaded  the health app and posted pass or fail. If not Download the Pc Check Health app as below and run


MS Health App Failure unable to upgrade tow windows 11

Here is what i got, before my hardware upgrade. 

After upgrading to the following

Intel i5 13400F Gen13 CPU ,GIGABYTE B760 DS3H AX DDR4 ATX motherboard Socket 1700  & 16Gb Corsair memory .

Sample of good PC Health Check app pass

Health App upgrade Pass after Upgrade

RESULT !
 I had a thought what if
Windows upgrade fails?

My new gigabyte motherboard supported NVME drives ,So I decided to buy a new hard drive unit so i can keep my win 10 build and use my pc in event of failure.

So search Web for  a new nvme drive that my new motherboard supported.

512GB SSD NVME M.2 2280 Cheap
512GB SSD NVME M.2 2280.


Ordered  from amazon for £26 free delivery bargain I thought and 5 Yr warranty for 500mb not bad

So waited 2 days for it to arrive, so eager to get started.

When it arrived installed in Pc M2 slot found the little screw in my new Gigabyte box. 

Then I realised , i didn't have a Windows 11

licence to install Windows 11 from scratch !

Therefore decided to install windows 10 as this was activated with my Microsoft account, so after basic install  i could upgrade to Window's 11

Off to the Microsoft website to download win10 image

Microsoft Download Win10 Image To USB

The media  can also generate a bootable USB drive with full Windows 10 install .

Plugged in USB drive and booted from USB

Proceeded to install Windows 10 Pro selected new nvme drive partitioned it and off it went installing. 
Installed in lest than 5 mins I was absolutely blown away by the speed !
Reactivated my Windows 10 licence I was now ready.

Next Downloaded the Windows 11 iso from Microsoft download page created bootable USB drive again 

And proceeded to boot screen again loaded from USB and started my Windows 11 install at last

Again upgrade was fast as hell 3 mins maybe for basic install 

As for upgrades to Windows 11 and apps install well that took hours but wasn't in a rush so took it easy.

Finally had Window's 11! with my Microsoft account signed in with my upgraded  Computer .

I now had 2 drives in my computer one with Windows 10 and one Windows 11, so I can dual boot into either one and copy over data and other files that I needed to the 2TB Hard disk data drive.

Then disconnected my SanDisk Extreme Pro

(Incase anything happened to Windows 11 )

And proceeded to use my new NVME drive with Windows 11 

Windows 11 Installed on Computer






No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is an ATX 3.0 PSU?

  The ATX 3.0 specification represents an updated version of the original ATX standard for computer power supply units (PSUs). It provides g...